The HBO Game of Thrones Exhibition has become a massive event in recent years, generating rabid excitement from fans across the world. For the 2014 tour, we brought in the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset to give fans a brand new perspective. We were going to transport them into Westeros.
Users act as members of the Night’s Watch, a brotherhood of makeshift soldiers who guard “The Wall” against dangerous forces beyond. They enter the winch elevator from Castle Black, then brave the freezing winds during the 700-foot ride to the top. Once they arrive they can see “The North,” but of course, that’s when the Wildlings attack!
We partnered with Framestore, the virtual reality team behind the Hollywood blockbuster Gravity, to bring the VFX talent and recreate the environments, characters, and elements from the show.
- Helped concept and pitch the VR experience to transport fans into the fictional land of Westeros at SXSW
- Drafted the fan experience elements, from queue lines to interactive installations and post-event engagement tactics
- Sketched storyboards, set designs, and experience maps
- Outlined specification guidelines for virtual reality vendors to design the fictional world within Oculus Rift
- Planned initial operations guidelines for running the event in a timely and safe manner within exhibition spaces
- Ad Age – Walk the ‘Game of Thrones’ 700-Foot-High Wall With Oculus Rift Headsets at SXSW
- Mashable – Arya Stark Panics Inside Oculus Rift’s 4D ‘Game of Thrones’ Experience
- WIRED – How It Felt to Experience Game of Thrones Through an Oculus Rift
- Gizmodo – The Oculus Rift Put Me In Game of Thrones and It Made My Stomach Drop
- The Verge – ‘Game of Thrones’ and the Oculus Rift took me from Austin to Westeros
- The Next Web – HBO’s Game of Thrones Oculus Rift exhibit is the most immersive entertainment I’ve ever encountered
- POPSUGAR – Travel to the Brink of The Wall in Game of Thrones Oculus Rift
- CNN – SXSW: Demo of ‘Game of Thrones’ on Oculus Rift wows virtual reality fans
- TIME – Go Inside Game of Thrones With an Intense Virtual Reality Experience
- Forbes – FORBES Climbs The Wall Of Westeros…With An Oculus Rift
- Business Insider – Fans Can Try Out The Oculus Rift At A ‘Game Of Thrones’ Exhibit In NYC
- Hollywood Reporter – SXSW: Oculus Rift Brings ‘Game of Thrones’ to Life
Kotaku – Game of Thrones Cast Members Test The Oculus Rift
Client: HBO Agency: Relevent Partner: Framestore